NY – March 2018 / Newsmaker Alert / Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has announced
that the New York State Board for
Historic Preservation has recommended adding 20 properties, resources
and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The
nominations reflect the striking diversity of New York’s history and include
a covert FBI radio transmission station, a landmark in aviation history
now used as a community college, and a facility used in the transmission
of electricity from Niagara Falls to Buffalo in the early 1900s.
Cuomo Announces 20 Properties Recommended
State and National Registers of Historic Places
Wading River Radio Station, Used as a Covert FBI Radio
Transmission Station Between 1942-1945,
Designated as an Historic Site.
administration is committed to helping communities preserve the storied
history of this great state,” Governor Cuomo said. “By designating these
landmarks, New York is encouraging economic and community development,
while supporting local businesses and preserving the rich character of
the Empire State.”
and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing
buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs
and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic
rehabilitation tax credits. Since the Governor signed legislation to bolster
the state’s use of rehabilitation tax credits in 2013, the state and federal
program has spurred more than $3 billion of investment in historic commercial
on the State and National Historic Registers is an important step in helping
to preserve and improve these assets,” said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of
the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Protecting
these distinctive places can help bolster economic growth and quality of
life across New York State.”
State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures,
districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture,
archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more
than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state
listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as
components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations
from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Carriage Shop, Edinburg - The remarkable survivor of a small-scale
rural manufacturing building was likely built around 1830 for brothers
Arad and Leonard Copeland.
Historic District, Spencertown - The Columbia County hamlet is an exceptionally
intact example of a 19th-century rural town center which originated along
a Colonial highway linking Hartford, Connecticut, with Albany and organized
around small grist- and saw-mill sites on the Punsit Creek.
Historic District, Austerlitz - The district of 37 properties includes
homes from the late 18th century to 1870, as well as a church, hotel, schoolhouse,
blacksmith shop and two cemeteries, which generally reflect the architecture
of southwestern New England, from whence Austerlitz families came.
B. Ford Memorial Library, Ovid - Constructed in 1961, the small, one-story
building exemplifies the New Formalist trend in modern architecture and
was a gift from Dr. Walter B. Ford, a philanthropist and retired mathematics
professor, in memory of his wife.
Town Hall, Hempstead - The interconnected complex of Colonial Revival
and Modern buildings and landscapes was built in 1918 with additions in
1929 and 1950, reflecting the growth of the town and changes in fashion
for civic buildings over time.
Field and Flight Line, Garden City - Built between 1929 and 1935, the
complex, now used as Nassau Community College, was one of the largest and
most important American military aviation bases from World War I through
the early Cold War and the scene of numerous historic and record-setting
of St. Joseph Motherhouse, Brentwood - The Catholic religious order
of nuns acquired the former hotel property in 1896 and developed a convent,
chapel, schools and a college. It is also associated with Mother Mary Louis
(Catherine Crummey, 1848-1932), General Superior of the Congregation of
the Sister of St. Joseph for forty years, an exceptional female leader
of her generation who founded over 32 schools, two colleges, two hospitals,
and guided the development of the 211-acre motherhouse property.
River Radio Station, Wading River - The summer house is significant
in military history for its covert use as an FBI radio transmission station
between 1942 and 1945, where radio operators impersonated German agents
to collect valuable information and counterintelligence to confuse and
mislead the Nazi government.
House, Middletown - Built in 1897, the Queen Anne-style home was built
by the Crane family, which operated a prosperous dairy farm at the site
into the 1930s.
Family Cemetery, Haines Falls - The central feature of this cemetery
is an obelisk erected in 1884 in honor of Aaron Haines (1802-1883), which
identifies the burial ground as the final resting place of members of his
immediate and extended family, who were pioneers in 19th-century Catskill
Furniture Factory, Kingston - Constructed 1946-48 after authorization
from the federal government due to nation-wide material shortages, the
modernist factory was the first to be built in the Kingston area after
World War II.
Webster Jenkins House, Central Bridge - Constructed in 1884 in a Queen
Anne style for Jenkins, who was the station master for the Albany &
Susquehanna Railroad from the opening of the line in 1868 to his death
in 1901 as well as a town superintendent and chair of the Schoharie County
Board of Supervisors.
Johnsville Village Historic District, St. Johnsville - Situated at
the intersection of Zimmerman Creek’s, with its abundant waterpower, and
the transportation corridor afforded by the Mohawk Valley, the village
developed over many phases from an 18th century Palatine community to a
railroad village, steam-powered mill town, and post-war community.
Wilbraham, Manhattan - Constructed 1888-1890, the eight-story Romanesque
Revival style bachelor apartment hotel is a well-preserved example of an
emergent housing type designed to serve the changing demographics of a
rapidly urbanizing America in the late 19th century.
Baptist Church, Ogdensburg - Built between 1830 and 1833 and remodeled
numerous times, the church played a crucial role in the spiritual lives
of Ogdensburg’s citizens. The church is also distinctive for its collection
of stained glass windows produced by Ogdensburg resident Harry James Horwood
between 1931 and 1944.
Club, Essex and Hamilton Counties - This is an example of an Adirondack
hunting and fishing club, which leased 15,000 acres around the Essex Chain
Lakes from Finch Pruyn & Company from 1947 until recently.
House, Ithaca - The 1880 home is associated with the lives of two important
Ithaca families: The Tibbetts family, owners of a paint factory, were the
first occupants of the house, before selling it in 1885 to the Rumsey family,
owners of a hardware business, which held the house until 1966.
are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties
are listed on the New
York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National
Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved,
entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations
are available on the Office
of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
General Electric Company, Buffalo - Constructed overlooking the Niagara
River and Canada between 1906 and 1923, the complex is associated with
the early development and transmission of electricity from Niagara Falls
to Buffalo - creating a lasting impact that would forever change the region
and the nation.
York Central Black Rock Freight House, Buffalo - Constructed in 1906
by the New York Central Railroad, the building was used for freight transfer
until the early 1960s and is now a rare example of a once common building
type demolished as other forms of transportation superseded rail.
Bakery and Richard Apartments, Niagara Falls - Built in two phases,
the original bakery portion of the building dates to 1913 and housed the
Seippel Bakery, which served Niagara Falls for almost fifty years. The
Richard Apartments and two storefronts were added in 1926.