Cuomo Announces 22 Properties Recommended
State and National Registers of Historic Places
Property Owners in Revitalizing Buildings, Making them
Various Public Preservation Programs and Services
In 2016, New York
Led the Nation in the Number of Completed
Projects Using Rehabilitation
Tax Credit Programs
NY – June 2017 / Newsmaker Alert / Governor
Andrew M. Cuomo announced Thursday (June 15) that the New York State Board
for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 22 properties,
resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic
Places. Additionally, in recognition of Pride Month, Governor Cuomo announced
that the National Register listing for the Alice Austen House in Staten
Island has been expanded to recognize the renowned photographer’s significance
in LGBT history.
new historic designation of for the Alice Austen House is a recognition
of the full scope of this trailblazer’s life and is a further recognition
of this state’s place in the struggle for LBGT rights,”Governor Cuomo said.
“The rich history of New York helped shape the history of this nation and
the designation of these 22 additional sites to will help ensure that these
places and their histories are preserved for New Yorkers and visitors alike
for generations to come.”
and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing
buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs
and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic
rehabilitation tax credits. Since the Governor signed legislation to bolster
the state’s use of rehabilitation tax credits in 2013, the state and federal
program has spurred $3 billion of investment in historic commercial properties.
In 2016, New York State led the nation in the number of completed projects
using rehabilitation tax credit programs. $748 million in investments were
generated by the state and federal credit to revitalize historic buildings
throughout the state. More than two-thirds of the completed projects are
in upstate communities.
Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
said, “I congratulate the property owners for winning this notable distinction.
It is an important step in embracing historic preservation as a tool to
create jobs, promote tourism, expand housing and encourage private investment,
all while preserving natural resources.”
State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures,
districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture,
archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more
than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state
listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as
components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations
from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer,
the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places
and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they
are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More
information and photos of the nominations are available on the Office
of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
listed in 1970, the National Register listing for the 17th century Staten
Island house where Austen lived did not reveal the full extent of Austen’s
significance as an artist living an openly non-traditional life and how
she dealt with gender and social norms in her photography. The expanded
National Register listing details that between 1917 and 1945, Austen shared
the house with her companion, Gertrude Tate, with whom she had an intimate,
fifty-three-year, same-sex relationship. Austen was what has become known
as a “New Woman,” breaking from contemporary societal strictures on feminine
behavior. Austen and her friends were among many middle- and upper-class
educated women of the late 19th century who did not feel that they needed
a man to live a successful life. Austen’s non-traditional relationship
with Tate and her exploration of gender and societal norms were illustrated
in her photographs.
designation of the Alice Austen House is part of the broader New York City
LGBT Historic Sites Project, which is working to highlight LGBT history
from the founding of New York City through the 20th Century. For more information
about documented LGBT historic sites in NYC and to view the organization’s
interactive map, please visit www.nyclgbtsites.org.
The project has been funded in part by grants received by the Office of
Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation from the Department
of the Interior’s Underrepresented Communities Grant. To date, the
project has received funding twice for awards of $49,999. The grant program
is funded though the Interior’s Historic Preservation Fund and is designed
to help increase the number of listings associated with communities that
are underrepresented in the National Register of Historic Places.
the request of the Seneca Nation, the State Review Board considered a proposal
to nominate the Allegany Council House in the Seneca Nation Allegany Territory
to the National Register. Although the board voted to support the nomination,
the Seneca Nation has its own Tribal Preservation Officer and will submit
the nomination directly to the Keeper of the Register.
1925 wood-frame building is significant for its associations with two major
20th century events in the cultural and governmental history of the Seneca
Nation. The Allegany Council House served as the primary gathering place
for regular meetings of the Seneca Council and was the political epicenter
for two major Seneca Nation battles: to halt the Kinzua Dam Project and
to obtain the right to vote for Seneca women in Seneca elections.
Landing Historic District, Coeymans – First settled by Barent Pieterze
Coeymans in 1673, the Landing is one of New York’s oldest continuously
occupied settlement. Its history is linked with New York’s late 17th century
Dutch settlement and the state’s 18th century water-powered industrial
Theatre, Chatham – Built in 1926 as a venue for both live vaudeville performances
and the screening of photoplays, the theater reflects an era of improvement
in the village backed by a prominent local family, the Crandells.
Hill Historic District, Durham –The buildings and structures in the district
chronicle the development of Oak Hill as it evolved from a Revolutionary
War-era frontier settlement in the rugged Catskill Mountain foothills into
a thriving hamlet with its own manufacturing and commercial firms, hotels,
and religious organizations by the mid-19th century.
Dunne House, Syracuse – The 1911 house is a residence designed by prolific
Syracuse architect Ward Wellington Ward, who was known for using a variety
of designs related to the Arts and Crafts Movement in the early 20th century.
Apartment House, Syracuse – The 1926 complex reflects a new housing type
built to accommodate the needs of the growing urban middle class in early
20th century Syracuse.
School, Auburn – Built in 1938, West High School differed from more traditional
schools by emphasizing training for students planning to enter the industrial
workforce, and the school’s design reflected this by including workshop
style classrooms for practical, task oriented training.
Building, Batavia – For more than a century, the building served as a primary
anchor for Batavia’s commercial Main Street, housing local companies from
1881 to 1929 and a branch of a national JJ Newberry five-and-dime chain
retailer from 1929 to 1996.
House, Bristol Springs – The Tudor Revival-style summer cottage was built
in 1924, when the area was transitioning from an economy based on limited
agriculture and summer steamboat excursions to one based on the development
of private estates and vacation homes on Canandaigua Lake.
and Anna Bates House, Greenport – The 1845 Greek Revival period house was
transformed into a seasonal boardinghouse c. 1870 as the Long Island Railroad
helped make Greenport a resort community.
Sumner Kellogg House, Baldwin – Designed and constructed from 1899 to 1900
for Civil War veteran George Sumner Kellogg, the home is the last remaining
intact example of a Queen Anne style residence in the village.
at 390 Ocean Avenue, Massapequa – The 1913 home is the last to be built
in an early Massapequa residential development of homes constructed from
National Fire Proofing Company tile and Ludowici roof tile.
and Ostrander Historic District, Riverhead – The district was downtown
Riverhead’s primary residential neighborhood, growing up alongside the
village’s commercial corridor from 1840, when the first houses came to
newly laid-out streets, through 1958.
River Schoolhouse, East Patchogue – Built in 1858, the one-room schoolhouse
with Greek Revival and Italianate detailing served the growing community
until it was closed and students were sent to newer schools in 1936.
Cemetery, Godeffroy – The cemetery is perhaps the oldest burial ground
used by European settlers within the bounds of present-day Orange County
and is the sole surviving resource that documents the earliest settlement
of the Peenpack Patent, which was granted by the English Crown in 1697.
Ohab Zedek, Manhattan – Built 1926–27 for Congregation Ohab Zedek, a congregation
of Hungarian origin, it dates from a period when New York City had become
one of the world’s major Jewish population centers.
Lewis County Clerk’s Office, Martinsburg – Local landowner Walter Martin
helped construct the county clerk’s office in 1847 as a way to help Martinsburg
retain its hold as the county seat, and it has since become a local museum
and a focus of local pride.
Lodge, Saranac Inn – The 1896 building is historically associated with
the Saranac Inn, one of the premier hotels of the early 20th century, but
it also served as the summer home of two prominent individuals: Texas newspaperman
Colonel Alfred H. Belo (1839-1901) and New York Governor Charles Evans
Hughes, who used it as his summer executive mansion in 1908 and 1909.
Mountain Fire Observation Station, Webb – The steel tower was erected in
1919 as part of the state-run fire observation network established after
several disastrous forest fires. It was also the site where Verplanck Colvin
built a wood tower on the summit in 1882 to use as a triangulation station
during his survey of the Adirondacks.
Episcopal Church, Horseheads – The modest, intact Gothic Revival church
was built in 1866 with locally produced brick by a small congregation established
four years earlier.
Avenue Baptist Church, Buffalo – The Romanesque Revival style church was
constructed between 1894 and 1895, along one of the city’s most fashionable
and prominent late 19th century streets and is notable for its highly intact
interior decoration in the main sanctuary space.
Baptist Church of Springville (boundary expansion) – The nomination expands
the 2008 National Register listing to include an 1887 Queen Anne style
Air Products Factory, Buffalo – Opened in 1907 by the German-based Linde
Air Products Company, the factory was the first oxygen extraction facility
in America – producing pressurized oxygen for acetylene torches and new
methods of transporting liquid oxygen. In addition, scientists involved
in the Manhattan Project used laboratories in the factory between 1942